Wanted: Junior Designer
A highly creative creature who obsesses over typography, hierarchy, detail, usability, learning, communication, and sustainability. A junior designer is not expected to know everything about design, but they are expected to have a desire to know everything. They must be willing to experiment with all styles and aspects of design, from sketching and photography, to print and motion. Focus should be on mastering design software, typographic and layout principles, production, and presentation skills. Strong communication skills, both written and verbal. An adaptable and flexible team player that is willing to jump in where needed and respond to unexpected requests. Always asking questions to make sure they understand expectations and happy to take advice, whether from their boss or experienced vendors. An obsession with sustainable living and organic food. A conscientious person who arrives to work and meetings on time.
About Modern Species
A small sustainable design and branding studio in downtown Seattle. We treat our clients’ businesses like extensions of our own and our vendors like our best friends. We love learning, craft, and change. We’re serious design & sustainability geeks with a desire to influence the entire design industry. We work our asses off for companies that we respect and clients who appreciate us. Office topics of conversation revolve around what we’ve been reading lately, what we’ve been eating and drinking lately, dogs, babies, race and social justice, and the occasional internet meme.
- Conceptualize and execute branding, print, packaging, web, and environmental design projects with sustainability, brand aesthetic, and the client's audience in mind at all times
- Assist with extension and maintenance of ongoing design projects
- Collaborate with various vendors to secure estimates, prepare artwork, and quality check the final product
- Creating and touching up client assets from scratch
- Being a self-starter; independently juggling multiple projects at once and going with the flow if deadlines or parameters shift
- Exceptional attention to detail and design standards
- Working directly with our incredible clients, talented vendors, and collaborating with your fellow species
- A lot of responsibility - working for a small studio means a lot rides on your shoulders
- 0-3 years of full-time professional experience in a studio/agency environment
- Bachelors degree in graphic design
- Expertise in Adobe Creative software in an OSX environment
- Strong desire to learn
- Experience designing identity, print and web
- Flexibility and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Enjoy designing in a variety a styles
- Fantastic communication and time management skills
- Live in Seattle or be willing to relocate at your own expense
- Passion for sustainable living
Not required, but will get you extra credit:
- Illustration, motion, and basic HTML/CSS skills
- Knowledge of sustainable design practices
- Branding background
- Experience with packaging and environmental design
- Strong writing skills
- Experience with product photography
Modern Species offers benefits including flex-time work schedule, group health insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and a 401(k) matching program.
If you meet the requirements and want to love what you do, please email email@example.com with your CV/résumé and tell us why you care about sustainability and/or corporate social responsibility in your cover letter. You must live in/near Seattle or be willing to move at your own expense.
Due to the volume of applicants, we are unable to reply to all inquiries.
Note: Candidates who are not US citizens or permanent residents need to have authorization to work in the U.S. in order to apply.
Modern Species is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity & inclusion.