A Sustainable Design Blog
See you later 2017
Wowza we can't believe it's 2018 already!
How did it get here so fast?
Before we fully embrace this this brand new year (as one should), we wanted to take a little time to post up a recap of 2017 (because it was a kicker of a year!)
- Became a 1% For The Planet member, stepping up our giving program
- Started the B Corp Certification process (nearly complete)
- Donated 5% of profits to three charities
- $20,000+ in-kind donations to non-profit clients
- 200+ total hours volunteered in national AIGA roles
- 3 women and minority rights protests attended
- Carla is pregnant with her second (extra grown up!)
- Jen, our former partner, started a PhD program at NC State in IO Psychology.
- We added a new project manager species: He is named Josh and you can learn more about him here.
- Kellie bought a house (so grown up!)
- Gage started a new national role with AIGA, as the Incoming Presidents Council Chair
REGOGNITION BY THE NUMBERS
- 3 Interviews: In Good Tilth podcast, the Organic Report magazine, and the Single Serve Design podcast
- 3 Design Awards: Farmer Direct bulk and grain packaging, Yumbutter 10oz jar packaging, Fair World Project's World Fair Trade Day campaign graphics
- 2 Speaking Engagments: Organicology, and the Edible Startup Summit
- 2 Publication Features: Design to Renourish book, and GDUSA Responsible Designers To Watch magazine issue
AWESOME NEW CLIENTS
- Hemp Science
- Natural Products Association Northwest
- Ona Foods
- Organic Trade Solutions
- RP's Pasta Company
- Taste Republic
- Tribe 9 Foods
PLACES WE TRAVELED
- New York
- North Carolina
CLIENT SNACKS CONSUMED
- At least a gazillion Alter Eco chocolate truffles and bars warming our hearts and tons of rice and quinoa for actual nutrition
- Plenty of Javazen coffee and tea mix cups of goodness to keep us fired up and productive
- Our new immunity obsession of Kyo-Green greens drink mix to keep up energetic and healthy
- Gallons of matcha and matcha lattes from the lovely people at Matchaful
- An attempt to live off of of nutbutter with the help of our friends at Yumbutter (try combining it with chocolate or cheddar bunnies)
- So many breakfasts skipped by eating Ona bars and cookies for healthy grain-free substanence
- One of our favorite big plants at the office went out to pasture (compost)
- A freelancer broke one of our Apple displays—and they don't make or fix them anymore!
- The flat screen in our conference room decided to loose enough pixels to warrant a repair
- Kellie's iMac decided to blow it's graphics card, causing us to take it to the computer doctor for surgery
- Our neighbor's building caught fire and the second through fourth floors burned (not our fault, we swear)
Cheers to 2018, and all the good and joy it will bring!
Carla Williamson-Britt is a graphic designer and much-appreciated organizer at Modern Species. For more posts from her, click here.